A response to the idea that Disney stories can’t have PoC because issues of racism would “remove the magic”.
There’s been a debate going on here on tumblr about the ‘ideal world’ and how it is incredibly racist to not want PoC in an ideal world. It implies that you don’t want PoC in the world, even if on the most base and subconscious level. One of the counterarguments I’ve seen states that it’s not about race, it’s about racism. That if you have black people in the same setting as white people, that the movie now needs to address racism.
Can I point out a little BBC show called Merlin? It takes place in the Arthurian legends, and features a couple of plot points that would raise any historian’s red flag: Morgana, as the bastard daughter of King Uther, wants to take the throne because of her right to it, and Guinevere, the black peasant girl, wants to marry King Arthur, because they are in love. In a setting that made even the most pitiful attempt at historical accuracy, neither of these things could be possible.
But, just like a Disney movie, this show doesn’t make such an attempt. It takes place in an idealized world. In this idealized world, PoC exist and racism doesn’t. In this world, women aren’t secondary citizens. It’s not necessarily a world without sexism, but it’s a world where Morgana has a claim to the throne, which is far more than you can say about actual Medieval England.
It is inane, hurtful, and - yes - racist to want a world without PoC, even if it is to ‘avoid conflict’ in children’s stories. If you think the best way to avoid ‘tough issues’ in perfect, ideal fantasy worlds is to remove people who cause tension, then write a story without any white, straight, cis men. That’d solve the problem much quicker.
- gradientlair likes this
- steampunkragdoll reblogged this from ophiucha
- knockoutloser likes this
- zippz likes this
- 221angelshavetheimpala reblogged this from werewolfau
- zhinxy likes this
- cheshire3000 likes this
- saphire-dance likes this
- mymyohmymy reblogged this from fyeahlilbit2point0
- shadesoffantasy likes this
- ceebee-eebee likes this
- wrench-wench likes this
- x-beni-o2-x likes this
- saathi1013 likes this
- shesgonnachangetheworld likes this
- wiccanandhulkling likes this
- donthavesexwithme likes this
- fyeahlilbit2point0 reblogged this from sunshine-empress
- werewolfau reblogged this from sunshine-empress
- fyeahlilbit2point0 likes this
- sunshine-empress reblogged this from fatespectrum
- sunshine-empress likes this
- pastlexican likes this
- lokilous reblogged this from caterfree10
- obsessify reblogged this from caterfree10
- mide-tan said: “It implies that you don’t want PoC in the world” I, as a PoC: ;______; But wait, what about that Indian girl? Is it not Disney’s?
- korenaphotos likes this
- lokilous likes this
- invinciblend likes this
- accentuatethenegative likes this
- ephemeralenigma reblogged this from eukatastrophe
- azurarey reblogged this from ophiucha and added:
- caterfree10 reblogged this from ophiucha
- lyndez likes this
- lazyisatalent likes this
- eukatastrophe reblogged this from ophiucha
- caterfree10 likes this
- thexanatosgambit likes this
- kanjogirl likes this
- omgbunnyz likes this
- raveyrai likes this
- jhenne-bean reblogged this from ophiucha
- jhenne-bean likes this
- ophiucha posted this